2. Full paper should not contain more than 15 typed pages, reviews 20 pages, short notes should contain at most eight pages. Use double spacing throughout the text, including the Abstract and References. The pages should be numbered consecutively, beginning from the title page. The size of the print paper should be A4 210 x 297mm containing no more than 25 lines per page. The font Times New Roman 12 should be used.
In view of the electronic publication we will be considering manuscripts with additional pages beyond the above limits. However, the approved papers that have pages beyond the number stipulated will have an additional cost for publication (see fees).
3. Full papers should contain the following sections (Paper example): Title, Abstract and Key words in English and Portuguese; The journal will provide the portuguese abstract (resumo) for papers that do not involve portuguese speaking authors. Introduction (containing the respective Literature review); Materials and Methods; Results, Discussion and Conclusions; Acknowledgements; Paper presentation; Sources and Manufactures. The sections results and Discussion; or Results, Discussion and Conclusions may be combined, Declaration Of Conflicting Interests. Bioethics and Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval is also needed (Model example 1, Model example 2). Should be stated before the reference section.
4. Review Articles should contain the sections (Paper example): Title, Abstract and Key words in English and Portuguese; The journal will provide the portuguese abstract (resumo) for papers that do not involve portuguese speaking authors. Introduction; Text; Conclusion; Acknowledgements; Sources and Manufactures when necessary, Declaration Of Conflicting Interests. Bioethics and Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval is also needed (Model example 1, Model example 2). Should be written before the reference section.
5. Short notes should contain (Paper example): Title, Abstract and Key words in English and Portuguese; The journal will provide the portuguese abstract (resumo) for papers that do not involve portuguese speaking authors. Text (without subdivision in sections, but ordered accordingly in introduction, methodology, results, discussion; conclusion) Acknowledgements; Declaration Of Conflicting Interests; Sources and Manufactures when necessary. Bioethics and Biossecurity Committee Approval are required when human or animals are involved. When genetically modified organisms are involved the approval is also needed (Model example 1, Model example 2). Should be writtten before the reference section. The text may also include tables and figures.
6. No reprints will be supplied6. Cover letter should contain the following information
a) What is the major scientific accomplishment of your study?
b) The question your research answers?
c) Your major experimental results and overall findings?
d) The most important conclusions that can be drawn from your research?
e) Any other details that will encourage the editor to send your manuscript for review?
to authors. The articles are free
7. No reprints will be supplied to authors. The articles are free at www.scielo.br/cr.
8. Describe the title in english and portuguese. Only the first letter of the tittle should be in capital lettter except for official names. Do not use abreviations in the title. Scientific names should be used in the title only when strictly necessary.Please use them as key words and in the other sections of the paper. Full name(s) of the authors should be written below the title, side to side, followed by number (roman numbers in superscript). These numbers which will indicate, when repeated at the bottom of the page, the affiliation and corresponding address, etc. The corresponding author be indicated and should be accompanied by full address, including the e-mail, when available.
9. Within the text, the References should be cited as follows: a. MASON (1964) observed... b. The average cited by ZONTINI & UNO (1986) was similar... c. PRESNEL et al. (1973) indicated... d. ...the congenital malformation (MOULTON, 1978).
10. Ciência Rural provide the style file for use with the EndNote software (is a commercial reference management software package, used to manage bibliographies and references when writing essays and articles). It is also available at that link the style file for use with the software Mendeley.
The Reference List should be placed at the end of the manuscript; the references should be ordered alphabetically.
Please follow the following examples:
10.1. Book References:
BARHAM, J.N. Mechanical kinesiology. Saint Louis : Mosby, 1978. 509p.
MENGEL, K.; KIRBY, E.A. Principles of plant nutrition. 4 ed. Bern : International Potash Institut, 1987. 687p.
10.2. Chapter in a book:
GORBAMAN, A. A comparative pathology of thyroid. In: HAZARD, J.B.; SMITH, D.E. The thyroid. Baltimore : Willians & Wilkins, 1964. Chap. 2. p.32-48.
10.3. Chapter without authorship in a book:
COCHRAN, W.G. The stimulation of sample size. In: ______. Sampling techniques. 3.ed. New York : John Willey, 1977. Chap. 4, p.72-90.
TURNER, A.S.; McILWRAITH, C.W. Fluidoterapia. In: ______. Técnicas cirúrgicas em animais de grande porte. São Paulo: Roca, 1985. p.29-40.
10.4. Standard Journal Article
Author should add the URL to the reference and the number of identification DOI (Digital Object Identifier) as the example below:
MEWIS, I.; ULRICHS, CH. Action of amorphous diatomaceous earth against different stages of the stored product pests Tribolium confusum(Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae), Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae), Sitophilus granarius (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) and Plodia interpunctella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Stored Product Research, Amsterdam (City optional), v.37, p.153-164, 2001. Available from: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-474X(00)00016-3>. Accessed: nov. 20, 2008. doi: 10.1016/S0022-474X(00)00016-3.
PINTO JUNIOR, A.R. et al (Two authors or more). Response of Sitophilus oryzae (L.), Cryptolestes ferrugineus (Stephens) and Oryzaephilus surinamensis (L.) to different concentrations of diatomaceous earth in bulk stored wheat. Ciência Rural, Santa Maria (City optional), v. 38, n. 8, p.2103-2108, nov. 2008 . Available from: <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0103-84782008000800002&lng=pt&nrm=iso>. Accessed: nov 12, 2008. doi: 10.1590/S0103-84782008000800002.
SENA, D. A. et al. Vigor tests to evaluate the physiological quality of corn seeds cv. 'Sertanejo'. Ciência Rural, Santa Maria , v. 47, n. 3, e20150705, 2017 . Available from: <http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0103-84782017000300151&lng=pt&nrm=iso>. Accessed: Mar. 18, 2017. Epub 15-Dez-2016. doi: 10.1590/0103-8478cr20150705. (Electronic publication).
10.5. Theses, dissertations...
MOSCARDI, G. Control of Anticarsia gemmatalis Hübner on soybean with a baculovirus and selected inseticides and their effect on natural epizootics of the entomogenous fungus Nomuraea rileyi (Farlow) samson. 1977. 68f. Dissertation/Thesis (Master/PhD in Biological control and integrated pest management) - Course of Entomology, University of Florida. (Avoid this citation).
ROGIK, F.A. Indústria da lactose. São Paulo: Departamento de Produção Animal, 1942. 20p. Boletim Técnico, 20. (Avoid this citation).
10.7. Non-published paper (should be avoided when possible): Read after the text, e.g.: Comparative study about the effect of differents sutures in the trachea anastomosis of dogs. Sheila Canevese Rahal autorship (in preparation).
10.8. Personal Communication (should be avoided when possible): Information in the text is identified by (Personal Communication) after the statement: e.g. ...described by Johnston (1980) (Personal Communication).
10.9. Electronic documents:
MATERA, J.M. Afecções cirúrgicas da coluna vertebral: análise sobre as possibilidades do tratamento cirúrgico. São Paulo : Departamento de Cirurgia, FMVZ-USP, 1997. CD-Rom. (Avoid this citation).
GRIFON, D.M. Artroscopic diagnosis of elbow displasia. In: WORLD SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY CONGRESS, 31., 2006, Prague, Czech Republic. Proceedings… Prague: WSAVA, 2006. p.630-636. Available from: <http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2006/lecture22/Griffon1.pdf?LA=1>. Accessed: Mar. 18, 2007 (Avoid this citation).
UFRGS. Transgênicos. Zero Hora Digital, Porto Alegre, 23 mar. 2000. Especiais. Available from: <http://www.zh.com.br/especial/ index.htm>. Accessed: Mar. 18, 2001. (Avoid this citation).
ONGPHIPHADHANAKUL, B. Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss by low and conventional doses of calcitriol or conjugated equine estrogen. Maturitas, (Ireland), v.34, n.2, p.179-184, Feb 15, 2000. Obtido via base de dados MEDLINE. 1994-2000. Available from: <http://www. medscape.com/server-java/MedlineSearchForm>. Accessed: Mar. 18, 2007.
MARCHIONATTI, A.; PIPPI, N.L. Análise comparativa entre duas técnicas de recuperação de úlcera de córnea não infectada em nível de estroma médio. In: SEMINARIO LATINOAMERICANO DE CIRUGIA VETERINARIA, 3, 1997. Corrientes, Argentina. Anais... Corrientes : Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias - UNNE, 1997. Disquete. 1 disquete de 31/2. Para uso em PC.
11. Illustrations, graphs, photographs will be named Figures; identified by arabic numerals (Figure 1, Figure 2, etc...). Each figure will be considered as a full page. Graphs and illustration should measure 7.5 or 16cm width. The figures may also be sent digitized in .tiff with at least 300 dpi. Tables should be identified with the word Table, ordered by Roman numerals, and cannot exceed one page should appear after the reference section. However separated.
12. The authors are responsible for all the statement and concepts contained in the article.
13. Submission requires metadata for all authors. The papers will not proceed for evaluation before the data is not provided. Exceptionally other forms can be used. Please contact Ciência Rural for additional information.
14. Articles will be published according to the order of approval.
15. Articles that are not recommended for publication will be archived. However there will be sent a message for the authors explaining why the paper was not approved.
16. Doubts can be solved by examining a previous issue of the Ciência Rural before contacting the Editorial Committee.
17. All articles will undergo a plagiarism check process using the Cross Check Program.
All submitted papers are initially examined by the CR team and editorial board area and then sent to two ad hoc reviewers at least. Revisions are usually subjected to three consultants ad hoc.